Ambiata works in a challenging and complex field, bringing data and personalisation together at a massive scale.
We are looking for an individual with a passion for building robust systems and a deep interest in functional programming, and who wants to apply those skills to challenging problems.
You would join our engineering team in Sydney, helping us build our hosted data-science platform. You would have the opportunity to work on our data-processing languages and tools; our distributed runtime environment and operational tooling; or our customer facing HTTP services.
What are we looking for?
You will be versatile, with an interest in typed functional programming, combined with an appreciation of healthy engineering processes such as code review and testing as well as a deep understanding of library and tool design.
In this role you will be:
- Collaborating with other engineers to build our hosted platform. As an engineer you will be working on a variety of Ambiata’s diverse problems. We often work as individuals or small groups to deliver solutions to these problems.
- Responsible for the full lifecycle of your code, from design through to delivery and deployment.
- Working with a variety of tools and technologies. Primary languages are Haskell, PureScript and Shell. The operating environment is AWS with Linux based systems.
- Participating in and improving our processes. As a quality oriented team we highly value our tools and process, we place heavy emphasis on visibility of work, peer-review and knowledge sharing.
- Responsible for the quality of what you deliver. As a team we have a heavy focus on correctness in order to reduce maintenance and operations issues over time.
You will have the following attributes:
- An active interest in typed, functional programming. Experience in Haskell is a significant benefit, however experience in other typed functional languages is also positive.
- An understanding of the full spectrum of software development, design, implementation and deployment through to integration. Ideally you would have the ability to work through the complexity of dealing with more than one system at a time.
- A working knowledge of operational environments, or a willingness to learn how your software runs and what it takes to operate it. Experience with AWS or more generally with Linux production environments is a significant benefit.
- A working knowledge of Unix or Linux based systems.
- A desire to work in a quality and improvement oriented team.
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative environment, we work very closely together, particularly on design and review.
- Self-motivated, whilst we work closely together on how our systems should be built, the actual implementation and delivery of work is the responsibility of individuals or small groups.
We are happy to consider graduates through to experienced engineers, providing they have the desire and ability to work on our problems.
Why would you want to work as an Engineer at Ambiata?
Firstly, working at Ambiata in any capacity is a unique experience. Ambiata is a place where you will have the flexibility and power to do what you’re great at, and in the way you want to do it.
As an engineer at Ambiata, you would face difficult but ultimately rewarding challenges in an environment that values quality, heavily utilising modern programming tools and techniques to help us deliver quickly and accurately.
In your first week at Ambiata, you will have code running in production, affecting our customers; In your first month, you will have solved problems you haven’t seen before. In your first year, you will have had significant contributions and influence on our products, have experienced delivering and running large-scale solutions on a day-to-day basis. And, you will have likely picked up a new language (or two).
You will have at your side a team of amazing engineers who value getting things right, a team of mathematicians and data-scientists who have a deep understanding of data-visualisation and communication to lean on, and a management team who will get out of your way and let you do your job.
Applying for this job
This role is available only in Sydney, Australia. It is a permanent full-time role.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Email your résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org